Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
The Tourism Development Fund supports projects that encourage three key streams: tourism investment, tourism product development, and industry capacity building.
The Tourism Development Fund program provides non-capital, project-based funding to:
- develop research-based innovative and emerging tourism sectors;
- support tourism organizations’ capacity building;
- encourage new private sector tourism investment attraction; and
- enhance Ontario’s overall economic competitiveness and opportunities for the Ontario tourism industry.
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis and should be submitted a minimum of four months prior to the start of the project.
For information on how to apply, please review the Application Guide.
Applicants must use the Tourism Development Fund Application Form to apply.
Who is eligible to apply?
Tourism associations (excluding Regional Tourism Organizations), economic development corporations, municipalities, not-for-profit organizations and businesses interested in undertaking tourism-related initiatives which support tourism product development, industry development and increased visitation.
The Tourism Product Development stream and the Industry Capacity Building stream accept applications from tourism associations (excluding Regional Tourism Organizations), not-for-profit organizations, municipalities, and national and/or provincial industry sector associations.
The Tourism Investment Attraction stream accepts applications from municipalities, economic development corporations, and businesses.
What are the mandatory requirements?
Each application must confirm compliance with the following:
- Legal status of organization applying (i.e., established by or under legislation; federally or provincially incorporated; First Nations in the Province of Ontario; proof of registration in Canada or another jurisdiction).
- Applicant is not in default of the terms and conditions of any grant or loan agreement with any ministry or agency of the Government of Ontario (e.g., Ontario Trillium Foundation).
- Applicant has at least $2 million General Commercial Liability insurance coverage.
- None of the proposed expenses will be used for recurring costs to run the applicant organization.
- Funding support is available up to 50 percent of total cash expenses as outlined in your project cash operating budget.
- The remaining project cash operating budget must come from a combination of organization and project partner cash contributions. At least 20 percent of total cash expenses must come from the organization.
Further information on eligibility criteria is in the application guide.
What are the eligible expenses?
Eligible expenses for Tourism Development Fund applications include, but are not limited to:
- Consulting services and project management.
- Research costs.
- Tourism sector strategic planning.
- Business plan support, economic assessments, and feasibility studies.
- Organizational development and capacity building.
- Conference organization costs including speaker fees.
- Project-related permits, fees, and other similar charges.
- Other costs deemed reasonable.
Further information on program requirements is in the application guide. For complete details on the Tourism Development Fund program eligibility requirements, please refer to the Tourism Development Fund Application Guide and the Tourism Development Fund Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
For technical support including any computer related issues please contact:
• In Toronto: (416) 325-6691
• Toll Free: 1-855-216-3090
Tourism Development Fund applicants may direct telephone or e-mail enquiries to your Regional Tourism Advisor or contact:
Investment and Development Office
Help spread the news! Please feel free to share this notice.